Free Your Space: Overcoming Adversity | The Homebuying Process
Guests: Stephen Mackey and Jackie Reed | Season 9, Ep. 372
Stephen Mackey is a first-generation college graduate with a B.S. from Texas A&M University and a Master of Divinity from Fuller Theological Seminary.
He is currently working on a Doctorate of Ministry, also at Fuller.
Stephen helps coaches and athletes connect the dots between sports and life through the 2Words Character Development program.
Mackey’s first book, co-authored with best-selling author Damon West, is called The Locker Room: How Great Teams Heal Hurts, Overcome Adversity, and Build Unity. It’s coming out this month, May 2022.
Among his many accomplishments, Mackey is most proud of his role as a devoted husband to his wife, Teressa, and father to their four kids.
During the last part of the show, Dr. Robin chats with Jackie Reed about the homebuying process in these times. Jackie is a manager at CommunityAmerica Credit Union in their Branch and Outbound Mortgage Sales department. She provides helpful tips about how to find the right lendor and loan officer for your family, as well as how to find a real estate agent that will be dependable with your needs. She also speaks to how the home loan process works at CommunityAmerica Credit Union, and why they take a personal approach with their customers to make sure you are comfortable during the entire journey toward buying your next home.
- “Because whenever we start to live outside of our core values, adversity, conflict, and hurt will follow.”
- “But instead, we turn the volume up and we say, let’s bring the fullness of who you were created to be and the fullness of who I was created to be. And let’s bring all of that and deploy it in service of one common goal.”
- “The purpose of influence is to serve those that have none.”
What You’ll Learn:
How to encourage our kids to overcome adversity through staying true to their core beliefs. Also, the steps that are involved in the homebuying process, and how you can make the process easier on yourself by being prepared with some helpful tips.
This Episode Includes:
- Stephen was raised by his grandparents and was able to become a first-generation college graduate.
- He worked as a youth pastor before he started his character development program.
- If we start with no, we’ll find all the reasons why we can’t do something. If we start with yes we’ll find all the reasons that we can.
- Stephen shares the six foundational ideas that are represented in his book “The Locker Room” and a brief synopsis of what the story is about.
- In order to write “The Locker Room,” Stephen reached out to Damon West on Twitter. Together, they collaborated to write and publish the book.
- One key principle in the book is the idea that following your core values will help you achieve success on the field and in real life.
- Stephen believes that unity begins when you listen more than you talk.
- Listening to young people instead of trying to solve their problems is one way to help them overcome mental health challenges.
- What to look for in a real estate agent, and why your lendor and loan officer can be a great supportive system for you during the homebuying process.
- What you can do budget wise to prepare for the homebuying process
- Some tips to avoid getting derailed from the homebuying process.
- Why getting pre-approved matters and saves you time and stress.
Takeaways From Today’s Episode:
- Go and purchase “The Locker Room: How Great Teams Heal Hurts, Overcome Adversity, and Build Unity” to give to a recent graduate as a gift.
- Talk to family and friends when looking for a real estate agent, as they tend to be the best referrals.
- Find a lendor who will work with you to understand all the costs associated with buying a home.
Mentioned In The Episode:
- Damon West
- The Locker Room: How Great Teams Heal Hurts, Overcome Adversity, and Build Unity
- Home – YoungLife.org
- Stephen Mackey
- CommunityAmerica Credit Union – Call or visit a location to speak with one of their mortgage advisors
*** This recording is for educational and entertainment purposes only. It should not be viewed as personalized financial advice and is not a substitute for consultation with your financial representative. Any reference to third-party websites are provided for information purposes only and are not endorsed by CommunityAmerica. Please visit CommunityAmerica.com to learn more about how we can assist you in achieving your Financial Peace of Mind.***
Looking for new ways to inspire your team to be well?
Download your free copy of Well-Being Tips Every Leader Should Know to gather inspiration, guidance, and tips for leaders wanting their teams to step into their best lives.