Deb Richard is a professional golfer, executive coach, and author of “Trust: Understanding My Why.”
She is the CEO of Burlap Leaders where she specializes in helping others manifest quality relationships and live with purpose.
Deb’s North Star, Trust, is central to her coaching of athletes, executives, and students.
She expands on the many lessons learned through golf and applies them to inspire successful living.
- “We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.”
- “I think a lot of times we get lost in a purpose that is self-fulfilling. I like to think of purpose as how we give that is ultimately the greatest pathway in life. It’s not what we took from the world. It’s what we gave to the world.”
- “There are things you learn about trust as you’re developing it in yourself, that really translates and it becomes that vision of what you’re looking for in someone else to trust.”
What You’ll Learn:
Trust is important in learning the why behind your actions and living with purpose.
This Episode Includes:
- Through golf, Deb learned to trust herself and have self-confidence.
- When you develop your own trust in yourself you find it’s the same things you’re looking for when trusting in others.
- One example that Deb gives about trusting herself involves her sense of integrity and how that served her in different situations in life.
- It is hard to trust others when you don’t fully trust yourself.
- If you weren’t raised in an environment that promoted self-trust you can develop it in yourself by doing the mundane.
- The mundane includes non-negotiables that you perform every day. As you prove to yourself that you can do them, you will start to build trust in yourself.
- Understanding your why precedes trust, not trust preceding your why.
- Deb shares the story of how she trusted her gut in college and led the University of Florida golf team to a National Championship.
- Deb believes that because she trusts herself, she is able to be more curious about the world around her in a safe and growth-oriented manner.
- The greatest motivation and purpose is when we take the best of ourselves and we bring it to the world.
- If you have the power to positively influence just one other person in the world, that’s a great purpose.
Three Takeaways From Today’s Episode:
- Practice doing the mundane to build trust in yourself.
- Evaluate your purpose in life – is it self-fulfilling or is it about giving back to the world?
- Consider how you can meld your purpose in your professional life and your purpose in your personal life.
Mentioned In The Episode: